Saturday 23 March 2024

Dune - the movie

     So, I have finally got round to watching Denis Villeneuve's 'Dune'.  It's marvelous what a mild infection will drive you to do.
     As you may well know I have this mild obsession with Frank Herbert's Dune series, so I might be less than, or more than, a disinterested observer here. Perhaps, also, I should have watched it on the big screen. It might really have helped, but I doubt it could have done that much to relieve the ennui.  You have to give credit to Villeneuve for attempting such an adaptation, but this as a stultifyingly dull film.  155 minutes of dull.  And it was bland.  Everything bland.  Everything leveled down to a uniform, less than golden, mediocrity.  It was even applied to the performances, which are so under-powered as to rob the characters of any personality.  Is this really what contemporary film-making has become?

No comments:

Post a Comment