Thursday 17 October 2013

Potato printing

   I thought it's be fun to print some wrapping paper for the bf's birthday presents.  I've been meaning to have a go for months and needed a reason.  I decided to use a potato as the 'block' and cut out a simple branch motif, and printed it on to ordinary brown wrapping paper.  (I used a charlotte potato which tend to be on the small size.)  It was my first attempt at this sort of thing and I'm reasonably happy with the results.
   The use of potato gives an uneven folksy quality.  I had intended for the 'branches' to be on their sides, but found the design worked better turned at right angles.  I think I will develop the design as trees. My main mistake, however, was to leave too much space around each motif.  It just should have been a tighter design to cope with the size of the presents.  I was inspired by the Edward Bawden, but looking at the design now I see the influence of Indian textiles but also Laura Ashley, and indeed I've become very interested in the furnishing fabrics she produced in the 1970's and early '80s, which I believe are excellent though neglected.  Snobbery?




1 comment: