Wednesday 7 August 2013

Lettering

   I'm quite fascinated by lettering and have periodically made various attempts at lettering.  Here, for instance, is a font that I have been working on in the last few days.  The initial inspiration for the lettering below came from reading that John Piper - an artists whose work I greatly, but not always, love - used lettering he found for his graphic work.  By found I mean in this case the lettering he found on gravestones.  I went to Bourne Abbey and took some rubbings from the slate tombstones there.  The variety was quite amazing.  It was all so beautifully cut.  Even on one stone you might find at least three styles of lettering used.  The initial design is for the sans serif 'e' directly inspired by the 'V' cut lettering I found.






No comments:

Post a Comment