Tuesday 5 March 2013

Kersey Rood Screen

    My recent post on Kersey reminded me of a sketching trip there in the mid-nineties when I was working in Suffolk.  I've dug out the watercolour sketch in question from my 'archive'.  It shows part of the one the four (I think) remaining panels of the Rood Screen dado.  This panel represents the Holy and Victorious Martyr Edmund, King of East Anglia. 
    Before I launched this post I thought I'd better check the details in Munro Cautley.  H Munro Cautley (1876 - 1959) was an architect and historian.  His magnum opus is 'Suffolk Churches and Their Treasures', Norman Allard & Co, Ipswich, 1937 (2nd & 3rd editions: 1938 & 1954).  He was surveyor to the Diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich.  Off the top of my head I could only think of two buildings by him:  Lloyd's Bank in Wisbeach (Cambs) and St Augustine of Hippo, Ipswich.  They both seem somehow at odds with a love of East Anglian Perp; the bank is rather good Neo-Georgian, the church monumental and perhaps a little heavy, but researching of  this post I've found plenty of other buildings by him, some I have known for years such as Lloyd's Bank in Cambridge.  I think you could say that his work is variable in quality.  There is a flickr page dedicated to him, and not surprisingly there's quite a lot about him on the Suffolk Churches website: www.suffolkchurches.co.uk
    Enough of that discursion.  Here is my watercolour drawing of Kersey Rood Screen:



And here are a couple of other drawings from that same sketch book I thought you might like:






No comments:

Post a Comment