Wednesday 16 September 2015

Leicester and the British Silent Film Festival Part II

   I just thought I'd share with you some of the pictures I took as I wandered around the city.  I was fortunate that the Film Festival coincided with Heritage Open Days, so I got into places, such as the Great Hall of the Castle that would normally be locked.  There are some remarkable things to see in Leicester from Roman remains at the Jewry Wall to lavish terracotta Victorian factories; one post really cannot do justice to the architectural variety and quality.  Like most cities in the UK it suffered terribly from Modernity in the Post-War period, but don't let that put you off.  There is much to see that is worthwhile.  And I shall be going back to explore further. Here then are my highlights.









 









   I didn't have time to explore the food culture of the city but I did discover the uber cool Almeida café on Guildhall Lane.  There were also a couple of bars/cafe's near The Curve, which I'd like to go back to: The Exchange and Manhattan34.  You can also eat well, as we did, at the Phoenix itself.


No comments:

Post a Comment